Sunken Sibs ⚓️


 Media has totally sunken my sibs. And by sibs, I mean my siblings. 

In total, I have six siblings -though only five of them live with me. Like myself, my siblings have also been affected by media. 

Lately, I’ve begun to pay more attention to how much my siblings interact with media. Everyday -or night, to be specific- I notice how my younger brother and sister ask my parents if they could use their phones to watch Netflix or YouTube. 

Some might think that it is a bad thing that my siblings spend so much time using technology. However, this is not entirely true. With the amount of technology they use, they still manage to play outside as much as possible. 

The problem is not how much my siblings use technology but when, how much, and what kind of media they consume.

My younger siblings tend to watch tv, YouTube, or Netflix at night. This isn’t good because my siblings would watch these things until really late at night -I mean, really late, like until 2 or 3 o’clock in the morning late. From this, we can conclude that media has a negative impact on my siblings, as it causes them to have an impaired sleeping schedule.

My little bro, Marquis, especially loves watching Transformers on Netflix, though he recently has gotten into YouTube -courtesy of my little sis, Mahkeely.

But can we really blame them? My younger siblings aren’t entirely at fault for the amount of media they consume. My parents are also to blame. 

Because my parents enable not only my younger siblings but also me and my older sisters to consume as much media as we do, we have bad sleeping schedules and don’t go out as much. By limiting the amount of media we consume, and establishing a more reasonable time frame in which we consume it, our parents can ensure that we develop a better and more heathy sleeping schedule. 

But then again, that won’t be too good either. In terms of me and my older sisters, we kinda need media throughout the day. As high school students, my sisters and I often need to use technology to do some of our homework assignments. Other than that, we use media recreationally. Since we aren’t allowed to go anywhere -and mostly just don’t like going outside where we live- we rely on media to pass the time. 

My older sisters -Natalya and Natasha- also like to watch tv, YouTube, or Netflix and sometimes go on Instagram or Snapchat. I also do the same, though not so much of Snapchat since I no longer have the app on my phone and never really do much on there anyway.

Not only us, but my baby sister also uses media. She’s only a year old by the way. 

My baby sis, Hazàél-Naomi, watches a lot of tv. Since she mostly watches it with me and my siblings, it kinda falls back on us when it comes to the amount of media she consumes. I just adore how focused Hazàél can be while watching CoCo or SpongeBob. 

The things my younger siblings watch is also a problem, as mentioned earlier. Don’t get me wrong, what they watch isn’t extremely terrible, it’s just that they evoke really annoying behavior from my sibs. 

For example, Marquis really irritates me whenever he puts his toy sword in my face or hits me with it. He’s definitely influenced by T.M.N.T. I don’t like that my brother has developed “violent” ways of playing from the shows he watches. I say “violent” because I do realize that he is only playing and  not intentionally trying to hurt me, or any of my other siblings for that matter. At least I don’t think he is...

Mahkeely also irks me when it comes to media. I just can’t stand it when she watches her YouTube videos with the volume super loud, knowing I gotta get up for school at 5:30 in the morning. Yeah. Sharing a room with my younger sister... 

Mahkeely also insults us a lot more than she used to -that part is mostly my fault, but it’s gotten worse. She’s also more violent and, unlike Marquis, she’s actually trying to hurt us.

So yeah. My siblings are really annoying -no thanks to media in making things worse.

Unfortunately, my sibs are sunken by media, and I doubt that there’s any realistic chance that they’ll be brought back up out of the water. It’s great to know that your sibs are most likely sunken, too. Good luck to you, and I hope you don't get beat with a toy sword like I do.

P.S. To those of you who don't have siblings, you are one lucky son-of-a-gun.

Comments

  1. It's interesting just how much media sources can influence our lives. Especially with younger kids, watching snarky or violent shows can change their attitudes and how they act. Sorry you have to deal with the effects of this. When my sister watches some crazy sitcom for a few hours, she'll end up angry and irritable, and begin to act like the characters on the screen. At this point, we've gone too far to stop consuming media, so do you think it would be better if the messages in popular shows stressed acceptance and compromise instead of violence and selfishness? Or would your brother still end up hitting you with his ninja turtle sword?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my own life, I have seen this from so many different kids. One kid I babysit isn't allowed to watch any inappropriate things for his age, but on the other hand, my mom's, ex-boyfriend's son, who is the same age, can make any Family Guy reference, which is really funny, but it is obvious that he is too young to be saying some of things he says. If you bring up one Family Guy scene in front of him, he will describe what happens before and after and will even restate some of the well-known lines from Family. He knows every character like Herbert the Pervert and many more. If I were to say some of that stuff in front of the kid I babysit, I would probably have to talk to his mom. As kids, media molds our soft minds and makes us who we are, even though it may because our parents don't mind what we watch, it will still affect us later on in life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts